Thursday 16 May 2013

Banned Bacon!

Wow!

So I think most "healthy eaters" knew that processed meats weren't too good for you...
Anything that was once living, 
now dead, 
and still doesn't go rotten for a very long time doesn't really sound healthy does it?

Apparently Sodium Nitrate is responsible!
(Sodium-related products are bad Mmm...Kay?)

It is used to keep packaged meats bright red and 
fresh-looking.
Here is the article that goes on to explain it by the 

The gist of it is this:
Chicken, fish and fresh meat: Good
Most of what you are accustom to purchasing at the grocery store: BAD
"Note that these cancer risks do not come from eating fresh, non-processed meats. "
According to this article:
"Sodium nitrite appears predominantly in red meat products (you won’t find it in chicken or fish products). 
Here’s a short list of food items to check carefully for sodium nitrite and monosodium glutamate (MSG), another dangerous additive: 
  • Beef jerky
  • Bacon
  • Sausage
  • Hot dogs
  • Sandwich meat
  • Frozen pizza with meat
  • Canned soups with meat
  • Frozen meals with meat
  • Ravioli and meat pasta foods
  • Kid’s meals containing red meat
  • Sandwich meat used at popular restaurants 
  • Nearly all red meats sold at public schools, restaurants, hospitals, hotels and theme parks
The USDA, for example, tried to ban sodium nitrite in the late 1970′s but was overridden by the meat industry. It insisted the chemical was safe and accused the USDA of trying to “ban bacon.”"
Well I don't know about you, but I love bacon 
(and I think a lot of you do too)

And since I've hopped on the Fresh Food bandwagon, 
I feel better knowing that I don't eat much else from that list.

So I am keeping the Bacon!!

The best solution I can come up with?
Befriend a local farmer
or
someone with acreage
and share some farm animals.
At least you'll know what is going into your meat.

Where did your dinner originate?
Now excuse me while I go hunt down breakfast...

H.M.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment