Monday 20 May 2013

A Jarring Salad!

How often do you buy a lunch?
What ingredients go into that lunch?
You don't know, do you?
I don't blame you, you didn't make it,
So how should you know?

By making it yourself of course!
Did you really think I would suggest anything different?

I've made it easy for you,
All you have to do go to the grocery store
And...
Go to the most colourful part of the store.


Stay out of the damn junk food aisle!!!
And away from the deli/bakery....
mmmmm......cakes.....

Got a jar? Go get it!


Put your Full Fat dressing or oil on the bottom.
I like using either Walnut oil alone, 
or mixing it, like I did here:




Gather your supplies!
I have enough food here to make: 
A delicious dinner salad, 
A salad jar lunch, 
Breakfast fixin's, and...
A veggies n' dip snack!



I am building everything backwards, for the purpose of the jar salad. 
So start with the heavier foods such as tomato, apple, cucumber, cauliflower; Anything cubed or diced.

Clockwise from the jar; Lunch, dinner, breakfast, and a snack
being prepped for the rest of the week
While you're at it, chop up a little extra to put aside for other meals throughout the week.

Next, I like to add the smaller toppings.


 Cubed avocado, nuts (walnuts, slivered almonds), seeds (hemp hearts, chia, sunflower, sesame) and dried fruit.


Then you can throw in more proteins in the form of 
pre-cooked, then cooled lentils, red/white quinoa, beans, chicken, hard boiled egg....


Green lentils, red quinoa, pinto beans, quinoa.
I also like to add grated carrots or beets.



Caution: The beets will stain your clothes/fingers/food pink!



Top it all off with a handful of spinach and some lettuce, 
and you're done!! 



4 meals ready to go! Clockwise from Jar: Lunch for school,
mid-day snack, dinner salad w'chicken topping,
and breakfast, just add eggs and cook!

I always go overboard and try to put too much in my jar,
and
run out of room for leafy greens...



Over-stuffed jar salad.
Practice makes perfect,
and it still tastes great...

Just don't forget a fork,
the plastic ones from the cafe
are short,
and dull,
and weak,
and plastic.

H.M.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment